NSW Fair Trading has confirmed there’s bags of family fun to be had at this year’s Sydney Royal Easter Show after declaring all 368 showbags are safe and kid-friendly. Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean officially launched this year’s showbag pavilion this afternoon, where he was joined by 11-year-old honorary Fair Trading inspector Ash Wade.
Mr Kean said the showbags had been checked by Fair Trading officers last month to ensure the hundreds of toys and novelty items meet stringent product safety standards. “I’m pleased to report that overall there was a high level of compliance; however, our officers did find a few items that required closer inspection,” Mr Kean said.
Mr Kean said the items included a block set that presented a choking hazard for small children, a bow and arrow set, and a makeup set, which lacked proper labelling. “These issues have been rectified with the cooperation of the suppliers, and, following a final round of inspections by Fair Trading this morning, consumers can be assured that this year’s showbags are as safe as they are fun,” Mr Kean said.
“Fair Trading works hard every year to make sure consumers are put first and can relax and enjoy the show safely. That work will continue throughout the show with ongoing inspections to make sure products on sale and prizes up for grabs are safe and sound.” Mr Kean said SafeWork inspectors have also been on the beat this week inspecting rides as they were installed at the showground.
“Our SafeWork engineers have overseen the installation of all the amusement rides down sideshow alley, and will be conducting spot checks every day of the show,” Mr Kean said. The Sydney Royal Easter Show runs from today until Tuesday 3 April.